Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Tribute To Women

While I was packing yesterday, I found this letter from Mom. Mom's letters are not wordy. They are usually something that has been cut out from someplace else with her name stuck on it and then shoved in an envelope. My mother clips articles and magazine quizzes for me to take and then never sends them, so when I was at her house recently, I was able to get a bunch of stuff she's been keeping for me.

One letter she did send though and enclosed was this printout with no known author. I do not declare that I wrote or compiled this list or Tribute to Women however I have added a few inspirational moments of my own or of women who have inspired me to keep steadfast during this crazy time.

So, I know I never say it...it's because I am pig-headed and stubborn, I know... Mom, I'm sorry. You were right. Somehow we have a crazy way of communicating but I get the message: Stay Strong. And that's what I'm doing.

Thanks for the reminder...
All the way from over here...
XO
Linda

A TRIBUTE TO WOMEN

This list is to be used for moments of inspiration, especially when the "Poor Me" stories start. If at any moment you are beginning to believe that you have hit rock-bottom, remember that the bottom is only in perspective of where the hole ends. If you look upwards, towards the light and the idea of possibilities..well, anything can happen! Don't forget what we have been through. Don't forget where we are going. Don't forget your progress. And if you are in doubt, call your mother! Enjoy.

Kate Wallen Barrett was almost 30 and the mother of 7 when she decided to go to medical school in 1886. Upon completion she opened a home for unwed mothers.

Shirley Chisolm was the first black woman elected to congress in 1968.

Mary CAssatt studied art in Philadelphia and in Eurpoe and had a one woman art show in Paris in 1893.

Marie Curie, the only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice (1903 for Physics and 1911 for Chemistry) and Irene Joliet Curie Nobel Prize winner 1935 for Chemistry; are the only mother-daughter Nobel Prize winneing combination in history.

Harriet Tubman led more than 300 slaves to freedom on the underground Railroad in 1850's.

"Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without out your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Hanna Senesh was the only woman in a unit of specially trained Palestinian Jews who parachuted into Eeastern Europe in March of 1944 to rescue Hungarian Jews.

Sadie Orchard was the first woman to drive a stagecoach regularly in the Wild West.

Grandma Moses was 78 when she began to pain in oils.

Elizabeth Mallet founded and edited the first daily newspaper in the world of March 1702 known as the "Daily Courant" in London.

Senator Margaret Chase Smith was the first woman to have her name ut in nomination as a presidential candidate from a major party in 1964.

"I gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which I must stop and look fear in the face...I say to myself, I've lived through this and I can take the next thing that comes along. WE must do the things we think we cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt (and boy, I've been leaning on that one a lot lately! :-)

Captain Emily Warner was the first female pilot to fly for a major United States passanger airline.

Mary Kingsley explored the interior of Africa completely on her own from 1893-1895 and became an expert in the WEst AFrican way of life.

Beatrix Potter was 47 when her long time dream to be a sheep farmer came true.

"Nothing in life is to be feared. IT is only to be understood." Madame Curie

Scajawea, the pregnant Indian guide who lead Lewis and Clark Expedition across the continent is the most honored woman in American histroy in terms of monuments and memorials. No one remembers her name.

"Failure is impossible." Susan B. Anthony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how nice, maybe someday someone will write about you that Linda.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY V-DAY LinDeezzy!!