Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Super Diamond

I'm probably not going to make it to Seattle in time to see Super Diamond perform at the Showbox on March 14th...but who knows?

www.superdiamond.com

Super Diamond is this awesome band that plays only Neil Diamond cover tunes. The front man sounds just like Neil when he was in his prime in the 1970's and 80's. I have a lot of respect for Neil Diamond. He is a great song writer although I must admit that I am not too interested in any of his recent works. I can listen to his work up to the Johnathan Livingston Seagull album and then I have my limits.

This band is a mostly west coast experience although they have gigs in NYC and other places too. They are touring nationally now rather than regionally which is what they were doing when I left Seattle in 2001. They are based out of San Francisco and are very tight.

When I see a great band it makes me consider playing and performing again...especially with others.

It inspires me to consider performing but not jazz. I am playing jazz piano now but do it only for me...not intended for the listening public. A fantasy of mine is to have a band and for me to do a bunch of Neil Diamond tunes...maybe call the band, SHE DIAMOND. I'm not sure how to start a band but if I look for housing near the University of Miami...who knows. I can usually find musicians if I'm near a university. Anne Rainbow Shepard and I used to talk about the band and we used to think that it was an all girl band, but I don't know any other female musicians and Anne can't play anything so I'm more inclined to use real musicians and if there are females too, then all the better! But no gender limits in my band.

Yes, I have a lot of creative ideas happening right now and I am painting and writing too. I'm taking as much time as I can to create and rest before heading out west. There is much for me to do too in the way of getting this and that in order but that is falling into place nicely.

Oh, and the leather jacket I'm working on now I've decided to fill with some of my new poetry and quotes. I wrote this awesome poem in the style of Hafiz a couple of weeks ago and I've been painting it in all these brilliant colors. Leather paint color choices are a bit limited however I found a whole line of sparklie shiny paints...not matted and heavy.

I have a vision for the new leather jacket I want painted and it includes the symbols from the back of all mighty dollar bill...pyramid, left eye of horace, you know...light fun stuff. Maybe a snake or serpent? Very different from my last jacket which I gave away. And the brown leather monarch butterfly jacket I sent to Karen so I don't give anymore art away.

It is a bad habit of mine...giving away my art. I am working on keeping it now. Now, I'm giving away copies...or so I'll try.

Check out this band...they are fun and always have a sold-out show. That is impressive especially in the days of television. It is good for people to get out and see a show. Good for the soul.

Please go watch a band. You'll feel better and will want to perform again.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
L.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loll, just put an advertisement on craigslist for your band. im sure you'll pick up all kinds of weirdos.