Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Seattle Memories...

When I was in Seattle I hung out with this brilliant artist, Jeff Hengist. The crazy connection is that we went to high school together. The amount of talent that was in our public high school in Harrisburg PA is unbelievable. Jeff and his brother Gordon moved to Pennsylvania around the time we relocated from Illinois when I was a kid.

Jeff and I didn't know each other really in high school. We did a play together with my sisters once and he did his thing and I did mine. Somehow we found each other in Seattle 15 years later and began a great friendship. He was successful when we reconnected, that is if you define success with recognition or $$. I'm not sure those are my measures but typically those are the grounds that society accepts.

What I loved most about Jeff was his ability to stay committed to the art no matter what drama was happening in his life...and baby he had a lot of drama. Women especially. Men too, but that was his lesson. Not mine. What I loved was his working space.

Jeff had the most awesome stuido to do his work in and he lived there too. It was huge and many levels so he could work on a variety of art projects.

I loved to walk to his space especially when I took the short-cuts that went through the tent cities underneath the I-5 corridoor. The homeless community is strong even if they are living out of tents and cardboard boxes. It was about 3-4 miles to his place from mine and over some really big hills. It was a great form of walking meditation. I never called before I showed up and there was always a chance that he wouldn't be home. When he was, we hung out, drank coffee and talked about this and that. If he wasn't home I knocked on his door and went and did something else.

I always knew I'd see him at Church.

Jeff created "The Church of Art" and I became a minister with this philosophy in mind. On Wednesday evenings, Jeff held services from 9-9:30 PM in his art studio. Church started the moment you showed up and the services started at 9 PM so you could come anytime on Wednesday and still be welcomed at church.

Musicians and writers and poets and sculptors and dancers and on and on and on would arrive for church. Each brought a contribution either a snack or a beverage and a piece of their art to share. We witnessed each other creations. Seeing what others were creating brought stability to my creative process. It showed me that my process may look crazy to others but to my TRIBE, the ARTISTS, it was right on track. The witnessing of the creative process by others without judgment regardless of the outcome of the project....that is what I am missing.

This sense of belonging and inspiration to continue with my work are moments that I cherish today, in my darkest times while I live through society's worst fears.

NOTE: I need a moment to reaffirm my new year's resolution: Renewed Inspiration and Divine Intervention are my Constant Companions.

Deep breathe...
Slow exhale...
Once again...

Church services were held between 9:00 and 9:30 PM we sat in silence and view one of Jeff's pieces. Sometimes 1/2 hr wasn't enough for me so I would visit often hoping he would be busy just so I could sit in front of his work....look at what he created...breathe it in and maybe understand his process just for one moment...but more than understanding...I could feel his process which feels just like love to me.

Jeff has the only painting of "Christ on a Cross" hanging in a church that does not show Jesus's face. This was quite controversial when the commission was completed and paint hung in the chapel. When I left Seattle it was still hanging in ST. Marks on Capitol Hill.

It is my wish when I'm back in Seattle to return to the chanting masses on Sunday night in Seattle at St. Mark's but if I can't be there, I know it is rebroadcasted on some radio station...KING? I'm not sure....at least that is what I remember about Seattle.

It is my fantasy that I can resurrect the Church of Art in Miami sometime before 2012. I only pick that date because I don't really have any other deadlines right now except to pack my storage units in the rain....so I should probably get going.

XOXOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so nice, You should really start that church up, I would love to come and show off my art. Miami, hell, south florida in general, really needs something like that.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Yes, that is in the new vision for myself. Thanks for the support...that's all I really need.

XOL