Friday, February 29, 2008

The Rabbi, The Black Guy and The Priest...

Sounds like an intro to a joke...it's no joke, but I promise to end the posting with a joke today.

Within a 24 hour period, these three men profoundly touched my heart.

First the Rabbi:

I waited for the Tri-rail in the cold. My version of cold and Karen's are equal. She's used to the frigid weather up there in Connecticut. She's had snow and ice and she has a relationship with my 3 least favorite words: "WIND CHILL FACTOR"

When it is cold in Florida I become very cranky. If I am north...anywhere above the Mason-Dixon line, I can accept the cold but down here when you wake up and it is in the 40's and the wind is blowing at 25 MPH, well....it's COLD!

The train was running 45-60 minutes late. There was no shelter from the wind and the announcements were steady with the reminder that the train was late. We passengers were instructed to cross the tracks to wait on the Northbound side while they switched tracks and we naturally clustered in groups as people do when instructed by loudspeakers.

An old Hasidic Jew, black hat, prayer robes, white button-down shirt, black pants, trench coat, approached me and asked to see my rings. I wear a lot of silver rings with non-precious stones. I like how it looks and if I am in a compromising position they act like brass knuckles. I know, I'm nonviolent but given my recent incident with the police and all the creeps that are out there, it's good to know that I have a little defense going my way.

I show him my rings and he introduces himself, Rabbi Jerry. He worked on 42nd street in NYC in the jewelry business and we chatted about this and that. He liked the look of my jewels and he was headed to a college to interview for a visiting professorship position. He told me the story of Esther in the Bible. She was a person of faith, goodness, devotion and courage. She built upon these characteristics combining with them a sense of watchfulness. Esther was devoted to her cousin, Mordecai, and obedient to his teachings. Her grace and her beauty gave her favor amongst all that she came in contact with.

Quite a beautiful story while we waited. When he finished his story he saw someone he knew and excused himself. I asked him to add Anne to his prayers and naturally he said he would...my goal is to get as many people praying for my sister as possible.

Enter the Black Guy...Lalala....my black child. He found me. My son and I were separated when I left WFM suddenly on November 16th. My time has been spent mourning the loss of my people and dealing with the guilt that they are still in bondage from the evil buck...but I am not a stupid woman and I do not have stupid children. Michael found me. It has made me feel so full of love and joy....and I am so proud of him and all the work he is doing.

Check out his artwork:

http://www.thewealthykid.blogspot.com/

He is also a brilliant artist and musician and he is the most beautiful child of god. I am so blessed...plus I didn't have to go through 18 hours of labor or any of that teenage crap. Thank you god for returning my son to me!

Enter the Priest...Father Damien.

We've been busy doing our own this and that and not connecting. Yesterday he came over, cut my hair and did some awesome spiritual counseling for a couple of hours. It was much needed and my hair looks so much better...it's good for the ego.

Father Damien counseled me regarding my still broken heart and how to let go. He reminded me of the agreements I've made with my soulmate and that soon enough we would be back at the source laughing at the roles we played in this lifetime and how seriously I've taken it all.

Keep in mind my Priest is not the regular kinda holy-water-Satan-banishing kinda Priest. Thank You God! He is very forward thinking and writing a book about the missing chapters of the gospels plus the mythology about the resurrection and existence of Jesus Christ. He is very progressive...and not affiliated with any church anymore. Again! Many Thanks!

So in a matter of 24 hours I was touched in so many ways by three profoundly strong men of god.

Here's the joke I promised you...it's one of my favorites:

An Egg salad sandwich walks into a bar, throws his crusts onto the bar and says, "Bartender, I'll have a beer."

Bartender says, "We don't serve food here."

A good little joke.

So many blessings,
All the way from here...
Linda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

man that joke really lifted my spirits, im sitting here look at the computer monitor with my head tilted about sixty degree, with a nice little smile on my face.'

Im all warm inside now, mom.

and your endorsement rocks~!

Anonymous said...

Geez louise I apologize for the typos.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Nonsense...no apologizes needed!
XO
L.

Anonymous said...

Get Father Damien to tell the Thekla story.....a woman empowered by St. Paul

Anne S. said...

Who is this cruel, cruel bartender who refuses to serve hungry egg salad sandwiches and pieces of string! Hey! Tell the "a piece of string walks into a bar" joke!

Linda S. Silberman said...

interesting story, yes... another woman giving it all up for principals and escaping death...why aren't men burned at the stake? I know, it didn't work with her but it would seem that the women get death by fire more often than men. I like the part in the story where the lioness lays at her feet in the arena where she's supposed to die the old fashioned way in front of a crowd. But the story goes that after the lioness lays at her feet that a bear comes along and the lion kills the bear.

Were there bears in Syria then?

Mythology.

Good stories...

She died a virgin at 90.

Man's happy ending.

Linda S. Silberman said...

I still like Ester's story better. Thekla was a pagan and had an overbearing mother, so I can relate to her too but sitting in silence on a mountain top just to be with Jesus doesn't seem like a very productive loving life. At least Ester was involved.

That's the problem with all the women of the bible...they get the shittiest roles or they are so misunderstood.

I guess that's what you get with fiction.
XO
L.