Monday, April 14, 2008

Well hello Dalai

It is hard for me to be in Seattle and not playing a piano...especially on such gloomy, rainy cold days, like today.

I've booked a mini-trip to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the month to get all these pesky documents to all these government agencies who are threatening me...the Florida DMV is threatening me with a suspended license because I didn't turn in the tags when my old car was repossessed; the IRS is threatening me with a twenty-eight thousand dollar debt and fine because of errors I made when filing my 2006 income taxes; the department of social services are threatening me with cutting off my financial support because I did not send them my 2007 income tax returns.

Document this. Document that. Paperwork. Pesky painstaking paperwork. Prove you were where you said you were when you said you were there doing what you did when you did it. This and that this and that this and that...

And I know, all I have is this moment, right now. Right here.

Seriously, with all this gloomy, cold weather...I can see why I returned to school so many times. Seattle is a nice place to stay inside. Inside libraries, inside bookstores, inside movie theaters, inside government buildings, inside shopping malls. I find myself wanting to see movies again, just to have something to do inside. I haven't had the desire to go see a movie since the Simpson's Movie came out last summer. Now I remember why everyone is such an avid reader. Reading is a distraction to pass the time before you can be outside.

Once the sun does shine in Seattle, there is enormous pressure to be outside doing something, even if you don't want to! That was one of the things I learned how to do in Florida: how to be inside when it was nice outside and not feel guilty. That was a hard lesson for me too, but I am glad I learned it.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It was beautiful out on Saturday when the Dalai Lama was here...sunny, 75 degrees, blue skies, puffy white clouds occasionally passing above. It was surreal experience...seeing the Dalai Lama in a football stadium that holds 55 thousand people.

It would have been a bit more fun if the Seeds of Change foundation promoted the event like a Mariner's game handing out Dalai Lama bobble headed dolls and autographed prayer flags to the first 2000 people through the gates. Maybe if they had done that, there wouldn't had been 10,000 empty seats.

Quest Field is built on top of the old Kingdome and I hadn't been there since it was erected. We went through extensive bag searches and pat-downs to get into the doors, but no one collected the tickets so once inside, people pretty much went where their seats said they were supposed to be. I did too, for a little while. My seat was considered "prime"seating for most native Satellites; it was in the shade. I was impressed with my self-discipline sitting in the shade while watching the sun embracing the thousands of people who faced west. I took it for as long as I could, at least an hour, before having to rise and run into the sun. People were running from their seats complaining about the "heat". I laughed to myself. No humidity and a gentle breeze and the people were complaining. No, I'm not in the right geographical position...but it is okay for today.

The strangest thing about being in this venue for such a holy event besides watching people flock in and out of their seats holding trays of nachos, garlic fries, Ivar's clam chowder, was listening to the Dalai Lama over the stadium PA system. It was odd hearing him speak and the echo of his voice without him saying things like, "There's the pitch" and "Ball one" or "This holy event is brought to you today by the fine people at Lake City Motors. When you need a new truck or van, come to Lake City Motors. We're there for you! Now hitting for the Dalai Lama is Edgar Martinez coming out of retirement just for this holy event. Stick around for the Seventh Inning boat races. Go yellow Boat!"

I have too many memories on this land. It is hard to imprint new ones with such energy surrounding the seats.

The Dalai Lama was on Jumbo Vision in his sacred red chair. He took off his Rolex for the occasion. If you've ever seen him in photographs with dignitaries and political leaders, he is usually wearing a Rolex. I am sure he got it as a gift when given the Nobel Peace Prize or when visiting Switzerland. I don't think he has any credit cards or pockets for that matter in his robes. I haven't seen any pictures of him shopping at Macy's or Nordstrom's. But I guess he could have gotten it online at www.PropertyRoom.com. That's where I got my awesome Swiss watch. And I didn't pay the $1500 retail price either...I got it for a fraction of the cost. I bet the Dalai Lama is a smart shopper too.

What was his message? Compassion. The Dalai Lama didn't realize until just recently that children were mistreated on this planet. That idea is so far removed from what he was raised with; it is only within the last 10 years or so that he's understood that there are crimes against children everywhere. His message focused on keeping the children strong and planting seeds of compassion for the future.

A nice message.

He also suggested it was time that women take over....that we become the leaders of the world. That men had done enough and it was time for the women to take the driver's seat. Naturally, I am paraphrasing, but that was the essence of his message.

A nice thought. Is the world ready for that though? No. But he planted the seed. After my experience in leadership, I don't know if I want to be leading the women or anyone else anymore...especially if I have to report to a man. Seems wrong somehow. But if I reported to the Dalai Lama? Well, I might do it again.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

2 comments:

Anne S. said...

I wish the Dali Lama would have said "Go Yellow Boat!" It would have been a perfect afternoon, then, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

oh wow. The Dalai Lama is sooooo cute, like a baby!. Weird that you blogged this, because I was walking to the break room at work, and on the news they were saying that he had arrived in California I think.... and being as ignorant as I am I say... "Shit they keep letting these foreigners come here... something else is gonna blow up now." Thanks for informing me! now I know who he is.

When you get back down here, we can march into the dmv and start a strike.