Thursday, January 10, 2008

Man vs. Insect

My neighbor, Cameron, came over for a visit yesterday and I told him all about the Naked Guy. Cam is in his late 20's, returning to school for a fresh start following a serious car accident and we've been hanging out for a couple of months. He's a good guy and has recently sworn off of women. I'm sure he'll do this time and time again until he finds his true love...hang in there Cam!

I was glad to tell Cam the story since I hadn't had a male point of view on this event since it happened. I wanted the male perspective. Maybe it will help me understand these differences between these two species: male and female.

"Really?" Cameron interjected when I told him about the possibility of the housesitting gig.

"Oh, that's great!" Said Cam when I told him that Naked Guy texted me he was attracted to me. He's so supportive.

"Boy, that guy is smart!" He said, when I'd finished the tale.

"Ya think? Really?" I said. "He seems kind of stupid to me since he didn't succeed."

"But maybe he did succeed...I mean he had you sucked in..." Cam said.

Yes, Naked Guy did have me hooked. At least for a few hours. But was he smarter than me? No. Don't get me wrong, it was a good trap...the luring in of a woman in need. This is not uncommon behavior for males to display in the guise of matting. For instance, in the bird kingdom, some species of male birds build incredible elaborate nests and then do a little dance standing outside of it to attract the females into the nest to mate.

Naked Guy has a good lure to get females into his nest.

He had me at his house. His lure to get me inside worked, but he didn't do a little dance. Oh how I wished Naked Guy had done a little dance. Wouldn't that have been cute? Maybe I would have mated with him if he had bobbed his head up and down pushing his akimbo arms outward squawking like a chicken. Yes, I sure I'd have mated with him if he'd done a little dance.

And I did admire Naked Guy's courage. He had ball, that's for sure!

Some might disagree with me saying that his behavior was that of a predator. I can understand that point of view. But I didn't feel preyed upon. I didn't feel threatened. At no time did I feel that I was in danger. No violence happened to me because of the interaction. If he was a predator he wasn't a very good one (obviously!) If I felt anything, it was sorry for Naked Guy and his little naked story.

No, there had to be another reason. For peace of mind, I needed something deeper in my understanding of the male species.

I believe that all my experiences are packed full of lessons. I understand the obvious one: Don't believe everything people tell you, especially when housesitting gigs are at stake. I also understand the female bitterness that can be triggered from experiences like this...the deception, false pretenses, lying. But bitterness and hostility towards all men following this type of experience seems unfair. Not all men are predators or liars.

No, there is a bigger lesson here for me. I just couldn't see it. For clarity I returned to what works for me: prayer.

"Oh Dearest God," I prayed with sincerity, "Please help me to understand this experience and why the one-balled man has been brought into my life. Direct me towards the meaning of this experience. As you know God, I am willing to accept the lesson and walk the right path and if you provide an answer, I am willing to share my lessons with the world. You know the deal God. Time for you to live up to your end. Don't make me threaten you because I'll do it! Deliver the message and nobody gets hurt. I patiently await your guidance and I remain faithfully yours, Ashey. Namaste."


Note: God and I have a very special relationship and sometimes I need to get tough with the supreme energy to receive the messages I require. I recommend developing some kind of dialogue with a supreme energy outside of yourself. It is a way for me to receive insight and messages. And yes, sometimes I have to threaten my God but we have an agreement and this is what works for us.


I breathe deeply following the prayer and wait for insight.

Nothing.

"Come on God!" I think. "Let's get on with it before my cappuccino gets cold!"

Silence...crickets....

"Crickets?" I think. Hmmmmmm.

Did you know that there are over 350,000 different types of species of beetles on our planet? One quarter of all the insect population, globally, are beetles. They have been on earth since the dawn of time and are as old as cockroaches and dinosaurs.

Charles Darwin said, "It seems that a taste for collecting beetles [information] is some indication of future success in life."

Here's the information I've collected about beetles:

In the early 1800's it was discovered that there are 3 species of male beetles that started to evolve with only one testicle. Scientist cannot understand why this evolutionary practice happened but there has been no decline in the birthrate nor evolution of these three species.

Beetles, like humans, are created in perfect symmetry i.e.: 2 eyes, 2 wings, equal numbered legs, 2 ovaries in the females, 2 testicles in the males.

In the Beetle Kingdom (and same with the human species) two testicles are not required for procreation.

Generally speaking, many beetles create only one generation yearly. In the insect world, this is slow evolution based on our concept of time and the average lifespan of insects.

When mating, the male beetles will fight off other male beetles to the death to have the right to mate with the strongest female.


So here's how it works with the burrowing beetles: The male finds the carcass. While it is decaying he fights off all other males until they die. After killing off the competition, the strongest male finds the strongest female beetle (who has also killed off all the competition) and together they mate for hours underneath the decaying carcass. When finished the eggs are laid and together they cover the decomposing corpse with antibacterial and anti-fungal secretions to preserve the much needed food source for their soon to be born larvae. They have anywhere between 2 and 1000 larvae and they decide what kind of savings plan they need to put the babies through Harvard.


Sounds like a Venture Capitalist to me.

That is about all I can get from this experience today. Oh, my thoughts about sexual fantasies are peaked and I promise to write about that soon. And as a teaser, let me leave you today with a picture of a man that I decided to not call:

1 comment:

Sue said...

Okay. That TOTALLY made my day.Thank you, love, for sharing this....you have mighty ball.

damn. and the house sounded so good....