Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chicago, Chicago...my kind of town?

I am in Chicago for the next 18 hours and I really hadn't planned for this part of the trip so I don't know exactly what to do with myself.

We arrive at 7 AM and park north of the city in the Lincoln Park area. I am one of the first ones off the bus to hit the city streets in search of a Starbucks and some internet action. I know, I know, how lame is that...but I need my fixes. The coffee on this trip has been horrific so sipping on an iced Americano is very refreshing, especially in this early morning humidity.

Where to begin...what to say...what can I say about the Green Tortoise? Am I having fun? Am I tired? Am I hungry all the time because the food is uninspired? Do I have regrets? Am I sad? Am I disappointed? Am I stinky? Do I wish I'd never gotten on this god-forsaken bus? Am I sick of lazy Germans? Do I want a hot shower and a firm mattress? Will I make it to NYC without scolding another passenger? Do I wish I could rewind my entire life to about 20 years ago and do a serious rebooting?

Oh, heck no...well at least not the 20 year reboot part.

Here's the thing: People are idiots.

No, not really. But witnessing how people form groups immediately and then they stick to them even if they feel uncomfortable is pretty interesting. I feel like I am on a sick, crazy reality show except no one is filming. What a missed opportunity. It is great to watch when our driver is lost for hours on end and the bus keeps going around in circles and all you hear is "shit! shit! shit!! I know we're supposed to turn here! Somewhere!" ...and there is no confessional to spill my guts about how the lazy Germans think we are all here to wait on them and how the Republican Spin Master (who also hasn't lifted a finger while we all cook and clean up the campsites) tries to get anyone to make out with him. The prize that I fantasize about is being pardoned for my violent actions after hearing the Grateful Dead...AGAIN! There is no prize at the end of this reality trip but there is a carrot in front of my face keeping me sane until we get to NYC. My first stop (after dropping off my luggage) is to go to the Russian Baths in the lower east side and soak away weeks of dirt and then get a pedicure.

How people forms groups is fascinating to watch and there have been many, many times when I have felt completely outside of the group and disconnected to their experiences. What I find most interesting to watch is how many people are completely afraid of quiet and being alone. The constant yammering on and on about this and that and inability to be in nature is so sad. There are only a few of us on the bus who feel a deep intimacy with nature and connection to the land. Unfortunately, we are on a schedule and there hasn't been enough time to spend in the nature...and now we are in Chicago and by Friday morning I'll be in NYC.

I think I'd be having more fun if I drank. Heavily. And took drugs...hourly. I have taken a few Xanax or else I would absolutely loose my mind and that is okay. The big bottle of Melatonin has really helped me too to sleep at night while all sorts of sex is going on around me.

Didn't I not mention that? The sex on the bus? Oh there's so much I haven't mentioned...where to begin?

Okay...enough for right now. it is about 9:30 Chicago time and I need breakfast first...then I'll write more. I don't have any other plans really. The good news is that I can go to the bus at anytime today and take a nap, which I just might do sooner rather than later.

I will find food and then enjoy my time away from my fellow passengers.

So much love...
All the way from the windy city....
Linda

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll give you credit. You certainly are brave for doing this! If I were you, I'd pawn what I could and take a Greyhound to NYC. You'd get there a lot sooner...

Anne S. said...

You are right. I would have run off the bus screaming somewhere in Montana. And never looked back.