Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Test Pack

To travel on the Green Tortoise, you cannot bring more than 65 lbs total in weight including your tent and sleeping bag. Those two items are 15 lbs so that leaves me with 50 pounds and one pack. Also, they require you to be able to carry all of your belongings for at least one city block. I think they might even test you. This is quite the packing challenge for someone like me who carries everything. That means I am an over packer.

One of the best features about the Malibu Stacey Funtime Camper was that any item you needed was inside of her. That was because I am a packer. I anticipated what might be needed and put it in a special spot. The VW Westfalia had many cubby holes and drawers to store items. I can see how I've already over packed. This requires a lot of trust on my part and making due with what I have...really look at if I need what I am packing. The backpack is zipped shut now but that doesn't include my bathroom stuff or computer, books, journal, and vitamins.

I must say, this is more challenging than I thought it would be. The tricky part is that it is so cold here in Seattle and it will be chilly in San Fransisco and then I am hoping it will be summer like weather when we travel along the northern trek, but it might not be and I may not have enough warm cloths. Layers are the secret.

It pushes me to see how little I really need to have and it helps me grow in new directions. I started the major purge while in Florida getting rid of most of my home furnishings, clothing, nick-knacks and what-nots. As Americans we are programmed to be shoppers...support the economy. Why else would George W. Bush print fake money and mail out $600 to every citizen in the country? Stimulus checks he calls them...but I haven't received mine. I have not been stimulated by George W. Bush.

Honestly, who has been stimulated by him? And if you were please take a quiet moment and ask yourself why? How is it possible to have him stimulate you? And did you feel it in your naughty places? If so...please get yourself to a doctor. This is not normal and you may have developed some kind of disease.

My packing is like a disease. I will take more out of the backpack and trust that those important things that I need like insect repellent and sun screen will help me....maybe I should bring cigarettes to use as barter with the smokers. I am sure that some of them will be jonesing for a puff and maybe they'll be holding out on an extra wash cloth or towel...

Note to self: must remember to pack wash cloths and towels!

Yikes. I think I need to make a list. Oh well...let's try this again...back to purging and packing.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I have polypropeline long johns that weigh nothing and fit every size that you can use. Let me know.