Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Matches

On impulse, I joined Match.com last month and I gave myself one month to have the experience. It's an odd sensation posting your photo and profile, about 4000 words worth, to say who you are and what you desire in your life. My first challenge was taking pictures of myself. I've posted the same photo that is here in my profile since that is the most recent....may not be the best picture of me but it is current.

It's funny that there are so many people on this website all saying and writing the same thing....looking for a partner to go here and there and do this and that and have some sense of connection. Honestly, I don't believe that the whole process works, but I can't be so jaded. Lisa took me to a wine and cheese dinner a few weeks ago and we sat with the cheesemaker and her husband. They were lovely people who met on Match.com and they really encouraged me to put myself out there. What the hell. I took his advice and entered this experience completely not attached to the outcome.

I mean really, am I ready for a relationship? Maybe, but I got no roots. I'm leaving town in about a week and the first interesting man has hit my profile. We're playing email tag to see when we can meet for coffee or whatever and I have no expectations.

I chose to respond to his profile and email because first off he was funny in the email. Secondly, he was direct. His profile sounds kinda nice...here's what he wrote:

I want a woman with a sense of romance and one who isn't afraid to say and show how she feels. I like to give affection and get affection and want someone who wants me back. I am a very simple person with many varied interests. I am very open and straightforward. I respect honesty and compassion, and give the same in return. Very affectionate and love to laugh. I would say I am family oriented. I am looking for a gal who is happy with her life but feels that she is missing that special person to share it with and that person might be me. Somebody that I can take on dates, out to dinners and things like that, perhaps an occasional concert something along those lines. Hopefully more down the road. People tell me that I am a very easygoing person. For the most part I am positive and upbeat I enjoyed my job. If there's anything more that you'd like to know about me feel free to ask. I hope to hear from you soon.

His photo is kinda attractive. Not overly handsome, not unattractive, 6'1" which is just a hair taller than me, and he looks a bit like Dennis Leary and Jim on The Office. Dirty blond hair, human body. He's got a couple of kids that he has half the time. I've only had a handful of emails and winks from the 150 or so hits on my profile and so far, he looks pretty nice....lives on Bainbridge Island which you have to take a ferry to get to from Seattle. I like that part best of all. Crossing the waters to get to a date or into the city is a nice way to live. We'll see.

Here's one of the men who emailed that I turned down. I call him Turtleneck Man:

My needs are fairly simple however, I'm a complex, affectionate, honest and sensitive person with an open mind and a heart to match. I usually dress casual in jeans, shirts, sweaters and turtlenecks, but sometimes like to be more creative. [I wonder what other kinds of creative dress he does....hmmmm] I enjoy many activities such as shopping, [Number 1 activity: Shopping! wow!] snuggling, cuddling, communicating, holding hands and trying new things. [Here's the sad part, I think...notice how he starts off this sentence.] When there is someone to go with, I have fun hiking, traveling, walks on the beach, warm cozy fires, [so when he doesn't have someone, he doesn't do these things...that's sad to me. But don't pity him, look where he goes next!] exploring dreams and fantasies, doing the unusual, attending church or just spending time together. [Not many men put "fantasies and attending church" in the same sentence. I wonder if he has some church fantasies lingering around that he wants to post.]I am a protestant Christian from a Baptist background. I am looking for a Christian lady with an open mind and a heart to match. A non-smoker, non to light-drinker and likes to eat healthy. Age and looks aren't really important to me.

Here's the part that I really like!

But really I am looking for a lady who loves to wear turtlenecks, turtleneck sweaters and anything with a high neck! What I want is to find my soul mate. The one who I can be devoted to for the rest of my life! If this sounds like you and you love to wear turtlenecks, then take a chance on me!!!

Has Dan Savage done a column about men in their late 50's obsessed with turtlenecks? Is there a Turtleneck Connector that we could find his mate? I really feel for this guy and I've never seen a man write so much about turtlenecks! His header reads, "Looking for a woman who loves turtleneck sweaters". And when you read like his list of his mate match, it's all about slim little women. Why did he reply to me?

Maybe he intuitively knew how cold I've been and how good I do look in a turtleneck? Did he see my neck as a challenge? Maybe he is my man and all I need to do is build a new wardrobe of turtlenecks and I'll feel at peace here. Could it be that simple? I already love scarves because my neck is always cold. Maybe Turtleneck Man is onto something. Is he my mate god? Oh dearest god, I really hope not but thank you for thinking of me Mr. T and I hope you find the long covered neck of your dreams.

I'm probably creating bad karma by writing about him and his profile, but seriously...is this what I have to choose from? I've already paid for the month so I'm keeping the Match account until next week when it expires...plus I'll be traveling so no time to find a date online. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

2 comments:

- A - C - said...

Dear Linda,
I wish you all the best for your adventurous "match" ;-)... and forget about bad karma. that is built up only by bad intentions, not by our all-too-human wish to understand.
In the meanwhile, I just let you know I have posted your work on my blog.
you have been the only one so far who have sent the text, and I'm grateful for it.

Greetings from australia!
A.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Hi Andrea!
Thanks for posting my work and I am most interested in your thoughts about Karma. I was raised with Transcendental Meditation (TM) and the ideas of reincarnation since the age of 12 and I am most fascinated with your thoughts. My beliefs are always changing...rather, growing as I evolve.

Hope the weather is lovely down under and your words with the photo are beautiful.

Peace
xo
Linda