Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Coldest year since 1917....

Okay. I am not crazy. I just found out that Seattle is having its coldest year since 1917. This makes me feel much better. I really thought that I had just adapted to living in the south and in Florida since 2001, but knowing that there is a serious weather change happening here helps.

I'm looking on the bright side of things about this freezing June temperatures. For instance, I've been having a series of hot flashes once every 75 minutes or so. Yes. I've timed them. I like to approach my body as a scientist....cause and effect....let's see what happens. These hot flashes are easily relieved with the cold weather. So this is a blessing.

As for observing my body as a scientist, I often need to get confirmation for my secret experiments. Sometimes I like to use my sisters bodies to confirm reactions I've discovered in my own body. For example, I give you the Starbucks Cookie Incident of 1999.

In 1999 Starbucks used to sell these huge chocolate chip cookies that tasted so great going down, but I noticed about 5 minutes after I ate one, I lost everything in my bowels. I know, not a nice topic of conversation, but it is true. The first few times I had the cookie I didn't put the two together but the cookie was the best tasting cookie store bought...it was almost as good as one of my cookies which is quite a complement. I am a master baker and know my cookies, baby.

I was perplexed on how such a great tasting cookie could have such a violent effect on my body. Every time after I ate one of those cookies, I had to practically void my bowels. So I decided to see if it was me or the cookie.

One afternoon, Anne (my sister) and I were out and we stopped by Starbucks for a coffee. This was my chance...the moment that I'd been waiting for. I needed to confirm if my experience with the Starbucks cookie was my own or was it the cookie. My inner scientist went to work. To gather data, I decided to use Anne as a test subject. This needed to be a blind test, so I did not tell her what I was doing when I offered to buy her a chocolate chip cookie. She accepted the cookie and when she offered me a bite, I said no thank you and watched her eat the tasty treat in its entirety.

A few moments passed and we were wandering through the abundantly fresh and huge produce section of Larry's Market at the Oak Tree Plaza. Anne said she had to find a bathroom....NOW! We both knew where it was and away she went. I waited outside and several minutes later she emerged with a "What the Fuck" kind of expression on her face.

I was nodding and smiling...all knowing as to what happens haven eaten many of these tasty chocolate chip cookies myself. I told her I thought that might happen, but I had to be sure.

"You knew that the cookie you offered to by me made you crap your guts out and you didn't tell me?" she scolded. She was quite upset with me, but I needed to maintain the integrity of my experiment.

"I wasn't certain, Anne. I had to know for sure. That's where you came in. It's not personal, I just needed to know if it was me or the cookie." I explained.

She was pretty pissed off at me for a little while, but it was then that I knew I wasn't crazy. There was something in the cookie that was indigestible to the Silberman women. I guess having that knowledge, I could have used the cookie as a laxative, but I'm not into that kinda thing.

The point of the story is that it was at that moment that I knew I wasn't crazy. Having confirmation of sanity for me is rather important. Perhaps conducting little experiments is a sign of insanity.

Anne, thanks for eating that cookie. I really appreciated it.

Finding out that this is the coldest year since Hitler was a young man, makes me feel better somehow about Seattle, and it is easing my hot flashes.

So much love,
All the way from over here....
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Linda

2 comments:

Anne S. said...

Good times. Yup. good times.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Oh Anne...I'm glad to see you're not holding that experience against me. I stopped confirming my experiments on you after that one, and I believe that was the only one that I did...now this whole menopause thing is another situation. You went through hot flashes first, for sure, but then they seemed to stop. Maybe they'll ease up on me soon too.

XO
L.