Friday, September 12, 2008

How the Universe Works

I've been listening to a lot of Esther and Jerry Hicks for some inspiration about the meaning of life and how this universe we live in works, because at times I seriously wonder what the hell it is all about and why I am here. Is it to serve humanity? Is it to serve the self? Is it to serve cupcakes?

What is the point of all of this anyway?

Esther Hicks channels a universal spirit or force they call Abraham. Abraham is the force that revealed the Law of attraction which is what "The Secret" is based off of. The Secret dropped Esther and Jerry for some legal reason...I love it when the new-agers fight over money...and the Hicks are still doing their own thing, which I have respect for. God bless them for getting out of the formula of "The Secret" which has a pretty good message overall, focus on what you want and that is what you'll attract. What I don't like about The Secret is that it focuses so much on material stuff. Visualize yourself driving the sports car and soon enough it will happen. If this were true than all the people visualizing bowls of rice in Ethiopia would be full of rice. I am sure starving people all over the world are thinking, feeling the desire of having food and still there is none available.

I'm obviously conflicted over this new-age theory. This topic came up this weekend with a friend of mine and we discussed, at length, how our thoughts attract certain elements in life. He is a scientist and I respect his logical approach to new-age mumbo-jumbo. He said how we can visualize a goal, a point in the future, and there are an infinite number of possibilities on how to reach that point, the question is which path will you choose?

Always the cynic and ever the skeptic, I decided to conduct an experiment on myself. At acupuncture yesterday, once I was comfortablly reclining in the chair and the needles were placed in my arms, legs and face, I relaxed taking deep breaths to center myself. Once I reached that place, I then practiced the techniques Esther and Jerry discuss; feeling the sensations down to the bones.

I felt it in my cells, my muscles, every fiber of my body the sensation of having a partner/boyfriend/man-thing...whatever you want to call it. A man. A big, tall strapping young man. I envisioned the feeling of having a boyfriend, us laying together in bed, laughing, my head on his chest post-coital, joyful, relaxed, loving.

it felt real in the chair. It was a lovely feeling. I didn't have a specific on how he looked or age, just that we were mutually attracted to each other and that we fit really well together. That's important to me, being six feet tall and all...I don't fit well with a man who's five foot four. At least I haven't in the past.

While I was in this feeling stage I said a little prayer to the universe:

Oh Powerful Universe, Infinite Light hear my prayer,
May this energy that flows through me, from the center of the universe through waves of energy through the top of my head down to the soles of my feet connecting me to this planet earth and returning back to source support me in this lifetime. May I find my mate who is out there looking for me and may we be joyfully together in loving energy that is for the highest good of all the people everywhere. Thank you god, spirit, ancient ones for your assistance. I am ever so grateful.
Ashey. Namaste.

In no time, my hour long acupuncture session was over. I had sat in that joyful, tingling, feeling sensation for an hour but it felt only like a few minutes. Smiling as I left my session, I felt great relief and let go of the prayer and visualization to allow the universe to go on its way.

I took the three subway trains to my new cupcake job on the Upper West Side and when I emerged onto seventy-third street, I had forgotten about my prayer. I attributed my feeling good from the acupuncture and didn't give my expiment another thought.

As I crossed Broadway walking towards Amsterdam Ave, a handsome, tall, very good looking young man was walking next to me. We had the same stride as we walked across the street and as happens sometimes in New York, we walked together in the same direction.

He turned and looked at me and said,"Damn! You're tall!"

I smiled and said, "Why, yes I am. So are you."

"Oh, I love a tall woman." he says...his dark brown eyes twinkling as he looked down at me.

"You know, I haven't had a girlfriend in over a year." he says.

"How is that possible?" I ask him. I really did find that hard to believe but it felt like he was telling the truth.

"I dunno...they all too little." and he gestures a height about mid-way to his chest. "I like a woman I can look in the eye." He stared and smiled hard at me.

Blushing I said, "A year is too long for a man like you to be without a girlfriend."

"You telling me?" he said.

The light changed on Amsterdam Ave and we crossed another street together, but I had to turn north to get to work.

As I turn to exit I say to him, "Hang in there...your girl is out there waiting for you too. I gotta go this way." I smile and cross seventy-third street to get to the cupcake shop.

He looked surprised and he may have thought I was trying to get away from him but I really did have to get to work. He kept walking east towards central park and I smiled for the rest of the day.

Yeah. The universe works fast.

Was he hitting on me? Probably. Why didn't I engage him more and give him my number or whatever? He was probably about twenty-six years old and was dressed in his grocery store apron. There is nothing wrong with me going out with a bagger or cashier or produce clerk from a grocery store, but in my recent history, it hasn't been a good match.

What I also find very interesting is that the men that have been attracted to me lately, or those who step-up and let me know are all between twenty-two and twenty-eight years old. Do I dive in and go for the young man? My friend who is also a physicist told me that I need to reach higher in my choices for men, but what if all that are attracted to me are hot, young grocery clerks? There don't seem to be any PhD. candidates looking for a cupcake queen! At least not yet. Do I go carnal for now? Does the morning conversation have to be intellectual? Can't it just be about the Yankees...damned Yankees... I still hate them you know. And why is it socially acceptable for an older woman to go out with younger men and why is it creepy if an older guy goes out with a younger woman? Such a double standard!

My point is that the universe is listening to my requests and paying attention, so I'd best wise-up and pay attention to what messages I am sending out there and seriously start receiving. And maybe I just give up my moral values for the grocery clerk. I know where he works and I think he gets off today around 2 PM. Maybe I need to go buy a couple of bananas before work!

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

12 comments:

- A - C - said...

Your friend the physicist is smiling...

Lisa said...

Your prayer is very similar to the "treatment" prayers they do in my church. You missed one step. That's when you release your intentions into the Universe. It comes after the gratitude. Namaste is not enough. Add "and I release this into the greatness of everything that is good and that is YOU".

This may also explain the hot young grocery clerks. You have not fully released your Grocery experience yet. Still much to process, but it explains why they are the ones who are attracted to you.

By the way, I did a similar prayer during acupuncture in October of 2006. I was wishing for true love, a man to love, who would love me too. I had the same feelings. As I was walking into work, I was hoping for the attentions of a hot new TV reporter with whom I had been flirting. Instead, as I walked into work, one small Llasa Apso puppy was walking out of the studio. It was love at first sight, and so it is.

He is my little man to love, but....next time, I need to be more SPECIFIC!!! :)

And so it is.
Love you!

Anne S. said...

"Why is it socially acceptable for an older woman to go out with a younger man but creepy if an older guy goes out with a younger woman?"

Are you kidding me???? How LONG has this been socially acceptable? About a year - if that!!! Woman are now finally able to have these relationships without fear of repercussions! ENJOY!!!

Linda S. Silberman said...

AC...how I loved our visits in NYC. Thank you for your insights and vision. Your company brings me hope that there are good men in the world, they are just rare.

Lisa...you are right. I do need to add another step and be more specific or maybe not. Maybe the universe wanted you to be the mom of Dudley and maybe the universe is suggesting that I take a young lover.

Anne: Ten years ago I had no issue with taking a younger lover, one of 14 years my junior, but since this last birthday, I am more cautious and I think the real issue is that I'm just simply afraid. Afraid to have an affair with a young stud. Nathan and I had so little to talk about and I remember how much I hurt him...but so is the game of love. But one week in a cupcake shop and I am sick of cupcakes. How long will it take for me to grow tired of a young buck? Maybe another experiment is in order.

Loving you...
Linda

Lisa said...

...you can only lick the frosting for so long, before it becomes rancid.

Linda S. Silberman said...

See...I think I can lick a lot of frosting before it becomes rancid. That's the problem! So your point is don't lick the frosting or get rid of it before its expiration date?

XO
L.

Mickey said...

MA I am Mad at you because I told you I wanted a daddy, even if he is 7 years older than me.

Priceless line:

"How is that possible?" I ask him. I really did find that hard to believe but it felt like he was telling the truth.

You think so quickly. Gosh.

- A - C - said...

[...what if all that are attracted to me are hot, young grocery clerks?]

that is really tough.. I bet 99% of the women would gladly give their right eye away... ;-)

best luck to you, dear friend. and mind your wishes...

A.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Oh AC...don't go confusing me! Remember, I'm supposed to reach higher...not just go for the carnal!

:-)

xo
L.

Kristin said...

You can't judge a book by its cover, that young 26-year old grocery clerk may be a deep thinker, something who can stimulate you intellectually. Yes, its improbable, but you really never know until you try! I also read Esther and Jerry Hicks. Right now I'm reading, Ask and It is Given. My Mom believes in the Law of Attraction, and specifically asked the Universe for a man of very specific attributes, and a beautiful man walked into her life. I think its her best relationship....EVER. So keep it up, the law of attraction will work, I think.

Linda S. Silberman said...

Kristin, you're right. I am eagerly awaiting my next encounter with a young man to give myself permission to play. For me, the challenge is to be present in the moment and not to think about what is happening. Someone else may need to think, but I've done enough of that for a lifetime!
L.

Kristin said...

Yeah, you only live once and I say go for it! take it slow if you want, but you may end up surprised :)