Monday, October 12, 2009

The Creative Process

I love watching interviews and profiles on artists and their process towards creating. It helps me to identify myself as an artist which is something I have struggled with in my adult life. Profiles on artists, musicians, chefs, are all good and my favorite is watching the process of architects, especially Frank Gehry and Frank Lloyd Wright. I don't think that you have to be named Frank to follow your creation in unconventional ways, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Sydney Pollack made a documentary film for PBS's American Master's Series about his good friend, Frank Gehry and in the film asked him about his creative process. Where did he start when he had a new project? How did he start? Frank said he cleaned his desk, made unnecessary appointments, got a cup of coffee, made some calls, and avoided his desk. He said he suffered from anxiety and worry that he would not be able to top his last work or be able to do it again at all. When in reality, all his work gets better and better, he has that old fear that he won't be able to create again. Even with all his success, he is still afraid that he will not be able to do it again.

Frank also gets inspiration from other artists, paintings and crumpled pieces of paper. Inspiration can come in any form, the secret is remaining open to listen to the crumpled paper, which is obvious when looking at his work. But maybe it is obvious because he speaks the paper's language. Frank has taught himself to quiet his own mind so he is able to listen to the crumpled paper speak to him. He sees and hears his inspiration.

Is my mind open enough and quiet enough to hear the inspiration offered to me?

This weekend I was inspired by some tiny Clementines which I candied with ginger root.

Inspiration is everywhere. The real question is, am I ready to hear it? Is it time to receive?

So much love,
All the way from over here....
Linda