Thursday, August 28, 2008

Trader Joe's

Everyday grocery store shopping in Manhattan is like being in a suburban strip-mall just before Thanksgiving. No matter what time of day you choose to visit the local Trader Joe's, it is always packed with hungry consumers looking for outstanding products at outrageously low prices.

I've been a Trader Joe's faithful customer since they first arrived in Seattle about ten years ago. They call themselves a "Unique Grocery Store" and being a grocery store aficionado, I would have to agree. Where they lack in wow factor merchandising, they make up for in great prices on cheese, meats, wine, chocolate and just about every other good thing there is to eat. But those low prices justify the extra tossing of items into the cart and it takes a disciplined shopper to leave the store without spending a hundred bucks or more.

Once I've found a great store, I am a loyal, faithful shopper. When I lived in Elko, Nevada, I willingly drove five hours in one direction for a the closest TJ shopping experience. While living in North Carolina, I'd plan weekend excursions to Washington D.C. for grocery shopping and when I most recently lived in Florida, I was thrilled that TJ's finally made it south to Atlanta! On those trips I came prepared with cooler and ice packs to insure the quality of the products during my 9 hour drive home.

Now that I am living in New York, I had to go visit Trader Joe's first and only store in Manhattan. It is in Union Square, the place where artists, writers, musicians and the homeless hangout watching everybody do their own thing. It is a colorful place filled with sounds and smells. An organic market sets up in the square twice a week and business people stream out of the office buildings surrounding the two city block square. Whole Foods has a store in the same area across from the square and the park is packed with hungry people munching out of recycled cardboard boxes from noon until dusk.

As you enter the Trader Joe's one of the first things you might notice at the end of the first isle is a sign hanging from the ceiling with a big yellow arrow pointing down that reads, "12 items or less here." This is where the line starts for the registers. The line snakes through the isles and there are employees holding signs that read "end of the line".

It is a bit discouraging. My first few tries I abandoned my red basket running out of the store overwhelmed and intimidated by the weight of my basket and the length of the line. It took three visits before I mastered the art of shopping while standing in line. The trick is for you to enter the store, walk the produce isle, get what you need there and then hop in line! From there, as the check-out line snakes around the store, you jaunt off and pick up this and or that and return the items to your basket and the line. New Yorkers are pretty darned friendly and will typically hold your place for you as you do for them while dashing down the dairy isle in search of the quart of half-and-half or ever popular Greek yogurt. God forbid where we would all be in this day and age without Greek yogurt!

You know, you can make Greek yogurt for about a quarter of the cost with regular yogurt overnight. It is so simple. Just get a strainer and line it with cheese cloth or a paper towel or even coffee filters, then dump a quart of yogurt on top of it and place the strainer over a bowl to catch the dripping liquid. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, covered and by morning...voila! You have Greek yogurt! I keep the container it was purchased in and then put the yogurt back in it so I have an idea of the expiration date, and then away we go! I've purchased lemon yogurt and strained it for a delicious topping for desserts or fresh fruit. It is fantastic!

All Greek yogurt is strained yogurt, but people are lazy. In my case, I am living somewhere with a tiny kitchen and I get one little shelf in the refrigerator so I don't have the room to make Greek yogurt, but I think I'm going to start doing this again because Trader Joe's has the best yogurt in quarts for $1.99 that is worth waiting in line for 30 minutes. The good news is that Trader Joe's is opening a store in Brooklyn in the next couple of weeks and I am sure it will be a hit.

The best technique I've witnessed at Trader Joe's is going shopping with a friend. One of you stands in line with an empty cart, right when you enter, and the other goes off shopping returning to the cart when their arms are full. That's my current fantasy; go shopping with a cute guy...and a strong one who can carry the bags on the two train rides home from the store.


Urban life. How I love it.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

5 comments:

- A - C - said...

Lovely. I read your posts with increasing pleasure. I wish I could write as pleasantly as you do.
I am no expert but I feel you have a great potential with writing. It is always a treat to see how smartly you describe ordinary life.

have a great day
A.

Kristin said...

Hello! I saw your blog from Lisa's website, and I love your post about Trader Joe's. That is SO funny the 12 items or less line snakes through the aisles...I can't imagine. I look forward to reading more about life in New York.

Lisa said...

wow. Is it really all that fun? I admire your sense of adventure, and I certainly enjoy reading your writing.

But just to eat....seems like a lot of work.

I LOVE Trader Joe's though.

Linda S. Silberman said...

AC: Thanks again for your kind comments and encouragement. Writing about everyday things is my meditation and helps me stay present. I really appreciate the support and your time reading. Many thanks. L

Kristen! Thank you for stopping by! I've seen your comments on Lisa's blog and appreciate the visit. You know, I didn't mention that there are two lines at the Trader Joe's that start in the beginning of the store...1 for 12 items or less and the other for any basket size. They have only 20 registers which is quite small for the volume they are doing. It is insane. If you come to NYC you have to go...just to see. Not wait in line! Thanks for your comments.
XO L.

Lisa: I know how busy you are and what your life looks like and there is no way in hell you have the time to wait in line for brown rice. But I do have time these days. Remember, when I was in Seattle I walked from Pauline's restaurant to Trader Joe's on Saturdays and then took two buses to get to your house. I am a girl possessed! Thanks for the comment.
Love you and safe travels!
Linda

Mickey said...

that just really sounds daunting.

thats so awesome, is it fun dashing the aisles like that? Does it make you feel like a kid? Do you... enjoy going to Trader Joe's?