Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I've always said...

I've always said I don't believe in writer's block, but that's what I've had lately. It hasn't been an actual block, it has been a road-block...where I write something and then an inner critic says that it is crap and before I can stop the fingers, the post has been deleted leaving me feeling empty and defeated. I know it is just a passing fancy and after what I saw tonight, I'll be sure to be able to write again soon.

Here's a teaser....I went to the new writing group that's been meeting on Monday night's at Think Coffee in the East Village. It is a hip spot and although there are only four of us who have met to share our writing, I have a feeling that this is a good place for me to be sharing work and getting support from other writers. Tonight there was a drop-in guest from London, Dave, who shared part of a screen-play he'd written for Radio-4 in London. Pretty cool stuff. After our two hour meeting he suggested we go to the poetry cafe a half a block away to see what the open mike was like, so we go.

How sad it is when stand-up comics take over for poets. Each person gets six minutes, which we all know in comedy...is a lifetime. Or as in this case, an eternity.

As my gift to humanity, I have decided to not share with you the ten acts I sat through...or as I will hence forward call it...the longest hour in my life. I won't tell you about the 400 pound hairy man fondly called Angry Bob. I won't torture you with the tales from the 6'8" Rastafarian's tale about his run-in with the cops for getting high in Central Park. I won't torment you with the gruesome details about the gap-dressed investment bankers talking about banging their 22 year old girl friends.

Ten acts I sat through before giving up and dashing into a cab to return me to my Brooklyn home. But something good did happen this evening. I realized that if these bozo's are able to get up on a stage and humiliate themselves for six minutes, then I certainly can keep on writing, no matter how loud my inner critic is yelling.

So my blog may not be genius writing, but I am back. I promise to work through these pesky insecurities. Let's blame it on the Lunar eclipse...too much darkness in the creative zones.

Thank you for keeping an eye on my blog and being patient with me. I do appreciate it.

So much love,
All the way from over here...
Linda

2 comments:

Anne S. said...

I can only imagine....Oh woman, you are so beautiful, oh beautiful woman....remember that guy from the globe cafe? Keep writing, sister.

David said...

Hey, it's Dave! I'm back home on these cold shores. Thanks for coming with me to the open mic, it wasn't great was it? I was quite drunk by the end - I think the barman took a shine to me - and don't remember my slot too well, but it seemed to go down pretty well.

I met a girl called Penny who invited me to her open mic night the next day - http://www.myspace.com/penniesopenmike - it was much much better. Not all great, but pretty great. My story went down really well there - might be a good audience if you want to brave reading some writing out to a big crowd!

Hope all is well
x